Google has added a new tool to the service of Planet Earth, with which you can measure the distance between two locations, as well as the area of different territories.
To perform a measurement, you need:
- Search for the desired place or select it on the globe.
- In the panel on the left, select “Measure distance” (the icon in the form of a ruler).
- Click on the map to set the measurement points.
- To remove a point, you need to click on the cancel icon on the right.
- To complete the measurement, you need to double-click on the last point, and then on the check mark icon. Length data will be shown on the right.
- To measure the area of a particular location, you need to complete the outline of the figure, establishing a connection with the first point. Area information will also be shown on the right
A new tool can be used, for example, to measure the distance from your home to any place on the globe – the North Pole, Paris or any other, as well as to find out the area of interest objects. Let’s say a nearby park or a particular country.
At the moment, the “line” is launched only in the Google Earth application for Android and the web version of the service in the Chrome browser. In the near future it will also be available for iOS users.
More information about this innovation is available in the Help of the service.
Recall that in August 2017, 22 new interactive tours of This is Home became available in Google Earth . To create them, project specialists shot dozens of houses on six continents. And in September of the same year, the service provided the opportunity to explore the planet from photographs taken by other people.